A Quick Dinner Recipe, Chinese Style Pepper SteakJune 22, 2023
On those busy nights when dinner seems like an obstacle to overcome, you need some good quick dinner recipe ideas that take 20 minutes and taste like a million. What could be easier than a stir fry? A little beef, onion, and pepper stir fried with a few seasonings, and you have one of those sure to please favorites. Once you have the vegetables and meat sliced, everything goes very quickly. A couple of quick stirs and 15 minutes of simmering.
Remember to start the rice before cooking the Pepper Steak. The rice will take a little longer and should be started first. Serve with a frozen egg roll if you like, or perhaps some egg drop soup. Bring out the chopsticks and have a little fun.
Chinese Style Pepper Steak
2 pounds boneless top round steak
¼ cup vegetable oil, or less as needed
3 medium size green peppers, sliced
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, mince
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
Hot cooked rice
- Slice the steak thinly across the grain. This is easier if you partially freeze the steak.
- Brown the steak in a little hot oil in a large skillet.
- Add the green peppers, celery, onion, garlic, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables and beef are done.
- Combine soy sauce, water and cornstarch; stir well. Add to meat mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice, Serves 8. Chopsticks are optional.